Showing 4 results

Creator
Corporate body

Alberta Council for the Ukrainian Arts

  • Corporate body

The Alberta Council for the Ukrainian Arts (ACUA) was founded as a volunteer council in 1986. The purpose of the ACUA was to interest ethnic Ukrainian visual and performing artists in their heritage in order that their work stimulate growth of Ukrainian culture in Alberta. ACUA emerged from the planning for Festival '88, the largest celebration of Ukrainian arts in North America to that time. Festival '88 was held in Edmonton and Vegreville in June and July of 1988 to mark the millennium of Christianity in Ukraine and featured 2,800 dancers, music, and other cultural displays.

ACUA is a non-profit organization incorporated under the Societies Act of Alberta with the specific mandate to facilitate and encourage greater appreciation and awareness of the Ukrainian arts and their cultural significance to the greater Alberta community. This mandate is accomplished through the publication of the biannual Ukrainian arts and culture magazine, ACUA Vitae; the provision of annual scholarships through the Ukrainian Resource and Development Centre and Grant MacEwan University and through the Friends of the Ukrainian Folklore Centre at the University of Alberta; publication of an artists' directory; annual artist shows in Edmonton, Calgary, and Jasper; and ongoing arts workshops.

ACUA is governed by a Board of Directors that consists of a president, vice president, treasurer, secretary, past president, and several directors-at-large. The office is located in Edmonton.

Alberta Ukrainian Commemorative Society

  • Corporate body

The objectives of this non-profit society, which was registered in 1980 and is under the patronage of the Ukrainian Canadian Committee, are to commemorate events of historical and cultural significance; to educate, promote and foster an appreciation for the Ukrainian heritage; and to relieve poverty and to promote and encourage national and international aid and development. The Society is governed by an elected board consisting of 8 volunteer directors and 5 table officers. The formal membership steadily declined over 1990s from 53 to 17.

The Society has a charitable number enabling donors to receive tax deductible receipts. The funds are primarily raised through casino events as well as individual and institutional donations. The language of administration used to be Ukrainian until mid 1990s, when the reports started to be produced in English. The list of past Presidents includes Mr. Batiuk, W. Kunda, Dr. D. Todosijczuk and Peter Savaryn. Since its inception, the Society has seen over two million dollars go through its accounts for various Ukrainian projects. The Society's projects included erection of a statue, “Pioneer Family,” in 1980 at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village; the Ukrainian Centre for Multimedia; the “Great Famine Monument;” various scholarships; the Foundation of the Encyclopedia of Ukraine; and the Children of Chernobyl Fund. The AUCS sponsored various Ukrainian events, visits of Ukrainian leaders, academics and similar notables, initiated translation of medical textbooks from English to Ukrainian in conjunction with the Alberta Ukrainian Medical Society, and sponsored various research and literary publications.

The Society regularly supported the following organizations and initiatives: Friends of the Ukrainian Village Society, Ukrainian Canadian Congress, Chair of Ukrainian Folklore at the University of Alberta, Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, Encyclopedia of Ukraine project, Alberta Parents for Ukrainian Education Society, Ukrainian Students' Club and many others.

Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies

  • Corporate body
  • 1976-

Established in 1976, the Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies (CIUS) is a global leader in the field of Ukrainian Studies. In support of the University of Alberta and Faculty of Arts mission and values, the Institute is dedicated to the production, preservation, and dissemination of expert knowledge about Ukraine and Ukrainians in Canada and worldwide.

County of Athabasca No. 12

  • Corporate body

In 1883, the Northwest Territorial Council passed the Municipal Ordinance, allowing for the establishment of local government areas. In response to this ordinance, many townships -- typically comprised of 36 sections of land --, organized to form herd districts (1883), fire districts (1886), and statute labor districts (1887). In 1897, all three ordinances amalgamated with the passing of the Local Improvement Ordinance. Local improvement districts maintained public works such as road building, management of fires, noxious fumes, and animals. A 1903 amendment of the Local Improvement Ordinance allowed local improvement districts to include between 3 and 6 townships.

In 1912, with the passing of the Rural Municipality Act, the Province of Alberta created the Department of Municipal Affairs. The Act allowed 9 townships to apply for incorporation as a rural municipality as long as the land contained 1 person/square mile. Under this provision some local improvement districts organized as municipalities while others chose to continue as local improvement districts. In 1918, the Government of Alberta required the organization of all local improvement districts into municipalities with the Municipal Districts Act.

The Municipal History of the County of Athabasca No. 12 began in 1913, when Local Improvement District 637 organized from a territorial unit. In 1914, Local Improvement District 637 organized as Rural Municipality of Cartier 637. In 1917, the Rural Municipality of Cartier 637 organized to form the Municipal District of Cartier 637. In 1945, the Municipal District of Cartier 637 renumbered as the Municipal District of Cartier 103. In 1947, the Municipal District of Cartier 103, the Municipal District of Nelson 105, the Municipal District of Grosmont 106, Improvement District 102, and Improvement District 122 merged to from the Municipal District of Athabasca 103. In 1958, the Municipal District of Athabasca 103, and Athabasca School Division 42 amalgamated to form the County of Athabasca No. 12. In 2002, the Summer Village of White Gull dissolved to become part of the County of Athabasca No. 12.